As we age it is only natural to wonder how we can maintain and even improve our memory and cognitive skills. The brain is a wonder of nature, and not a computer. So, how we deal with daily life can have an impact on how our mental capacities survive through the aging process. Luckily, there are things we can do that can help us keep, and even increase our mental sharpness and awareness.
Keeping a strong and alert mind requires us to exercise our brain. It is important to stay active mentally and physically. While it is not a good idea to abuse our body or our mind, the human brain does possess an uncanny ability to adapt to changes. So, as we age, it is possible to practice various steps and activities to help our brains to adapt and change with us. The brain is very complex and with the right steps, we can increase it’s power and minimize brain fog.
Take steps to improve your memory and brain power:
The following may help, so read up on each of the steps, and determine if any make sense to you, and how you might be able to incorporate into your lifestyle.
- Socialize: Be active with your family and friends. Maintaining an active lifestyle helps to stimulate our brains and helps to keep it sharp.
- Memory boosting games: Certain types of games will keep the brain sharp and alert.
- Focus your attention: Staying focused on the task at hand, and not being scattered can help your memory and comfort. Slow down and think about what you are doing.
- Exercise and stay active: Studies has shown that physical fitness, such as brisk walking, can help you to remember and to keep the brain sharp. Certainly check with your doctor to understand your physical limits before starting a regimen of exercise and fitness.
- Practice memory association: When you actively practice associating certain elements with the thing that you want to remember, you can see an increase in ability.
- Get organized: When you get your life in order it can help keep you relaxed. Set up a designated location for the various things you utilize on a daily basis. That way, you will always know where your belongings are located. Have a designated spot for things such as car keys, house keys, bills to be paid, eyeglasses, cell phone, etc.
- Eat right and maintain a healthy diet: A proper diet with healthy foods will help you to keep your body and brain fueled, and ready to go. Make sure to check with your doctor on the types of foods you should eat for your personal health situation.
- Get proper sleep: This is also an area that is critical to your continued health.
The importance of exercise and activity go beyond the benefits of brain power. Some of the additional benefits of exercise and fitness activities can also improve additional areas of your health. Some of the additional benefits can include:
- increased balance
- improved strength
- more endurance
- improved flexibility
- better self esteem.
Disclaimer: Nothing within this post should be considered a substitute for medical advice. See your doctor or healthcare professional for information.