Do you long for a new living room? Whether it’s the furniture, the color scheme, or simply the overall vibe—something might be off. Or, perhaps it just needs a little flare!
Thankfully, improving your living room can be done in fewer steps than you may think. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of 4 simple ways to transform your living room! Use them verbatim or let them jog your creativity.
#1 Change the Layout
Sometimes all you need is a change of pace.
If you’re feeling like the living room needs a revamp, but you’re not interested in making any new purchases, the solution may be as simple as moving some things around.
Who says every item and fixture needs to stay where it is, all the time?
If you’re not sure where to start, here are a few suggestions for mixing things up:
- Give Yourself Some Space – Your living room setup may not be providing optimal space as is. If any of your furniture pieces are blocking off hallways or being used to separate the living room from the kitchen, try pushing them flush against the wall. Using furniture pieces to create barriers can orient a room, but it also minimizes space. Rearrange your furniture with space in mind and watch the transformation happen!
- Go Toward the Light – If your furniture currently faces away from the windows in your living room, try turning them toward the nearest light source. This will open up the room and make things feel brighter and lively.
- Try a Feng-Shui Approach – If your seating is turned toward the television, consider rotating some pieces around to face one another. This will not only create a more balanced layout, but it’ll help facilitate conversation!
#2 New Furniture
If you’ve lived in the same home for a few years, there’s a good chance some of your decor tastes have evolved since you moved in.
Due to the fact that refurnishing an entire living room can be expensive, people tend to feel tied down to their old furniture. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t add a couple new pieces to freshen things up.
Some easy swaps include but are not limited to:
- Entertainment Center – Update your television setup with a new entertainment center. Hooker furniture offers some luxurious options with space for all your cable boxes, gaming systems, routers, and decorative pieces.
- End Table – End tables are one of the most affordable furniture items you can buy. Though small in stature, a new end table can make a world of difference. If your current end table is on the bulkier side, consider opting for something more delicate. Glass top end tables are a great way to open up a room and add a sleek element.
- Recliner – Sometimes a couch just isn’t enough. Adding a recliner to your living room can make it feel cozier, provide more seating, and create a greater sense of spaciousness. Find a recliner that matches your couch, so the entire aesthetic is cohesive!
#3 Try a New Color
Color can make or break a space. If you’ve grown sour on your current living room aesthetic, the solution may be as simple as changing up the tones. Unsure of how to incorporate new colors? Don’t stress. Here are a few suggestions:
- Change the wall color or add wallpaper
- Add a few decorative pieces in a new hue
- Use a cover to update your sofa’s shade or pattern
- Paint an accent wall
Allow your creativity to push boundaries! Playing with color is one of the most versatile ways you can transform a room. Sometimes it’s the unexpected shades that truly tie a room together.
#4 Mount Your Television
If you’re going for a modern aesthetic (and you want to open up some space), consider mounting your television. This can be done to declutter your living room, provide more surface area on your entertainment center, or better position your TV.
Mounting your television is both affordable and easy to accomplish. A wall mount can cost as little as $10, and the installation process is as simple as drilling a few screws in the wall (if the wall can support it, of course). Once your television is mounted, you’ll find yourself streaming in style!
Get the Living Room of Your Dreams
One of the biggest mistakes people make when furnishing their living room is not staying true to their personal style.
Experiment with color, pick out furniture pieces you like, and have fun with it! Your living room is a place where you should feel comfortable, where you feel at home. Don’t be afraid to push the envelope, it might just be that “wild idea” that completely transforms your living room.